Sunday, September 28, 2025

September 29, 2025

 


Thanks so much for your donations with the Terry Fox Run/Walk/Roll

on Friday. The children had fun at the event. They are working hard!

I sent home the children's email addresses and passwords to access the

Student portal. Please go to the St. Cecilia website to access that.

My co-op student helped tape the Raz kids and Zorbits passwords into

the first page of the agenda last week.

Orange Shirt Day at St. Cecilia

Tuesday, September 30th is Orange Shirt Day for Truth and Reconciliation Day. We are recognizing the survivors of residential schools. If you can, encourage your child to wear orange on Monday, September 30.


Language

We are starting with learning phonemes or sounds slowly. It will help the students

with their reading and their writing. I will be sending home some decodable

reading passages that we are working on at school. These will build

confidence as we continue to learn more letters and sounds. As you may have

noticed, I use the children's names when modelling sentences in class.

I sent home the names of the students last week. I hope your child

has practiced them with you at home. Here is a link of

the 44 phonemes that we will be studying. the-44-phonemes-of-english.pdf  

Here are the pronunciations of the phonemes:

Heggerty letter sounds practice in order 1min 58 sec

Heggerty letter sounds practice out of order 1 min 54 sec



ClearMath (formerly called Zorbits)

ClearMath is a great math tool that the children will work through this year.

Your child can access it through the student portal. Please try not to help

your child as she/he is playing. The program is designed to move the children

through different levels depending on their responses and the responsetimes. I hope to send these passwords soon. The passwords will be glued on the front page of the agenda. 

Math

We have been counting by 1’s to 50 and 10’s to 100. We will begin to

count by 5’s. We are learning how to show a number on a 10-frame. 

We will be focusing on the teens next. For example, 1 ten and ___ more,

depending on the number. 

Religion

In religion, we have listened to the story of the Good Samaritan. We are

learning ways to be a Good Citizen like Jesus and the Good Samaritan.

We continue to build GRIT! I hope you are hearing the children use the

word YET at home. They are all using it in class.

Please continue to let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can

can continue to write me a note in the agenda or leave a message at the office.

I look forward to another great week with your children! They are so lovely.

I feel so blessed.

Sincerely,

Giovanna Smith 😊




Please enter your email to receive emails updates

Subscribe

* indicates required

May 12, 2026

  Thank you to all of you who were able to join us for the Open House last week. It is always a pleasure to share the children’s learning wi...