We had another great week of learning last week. Thank you for your support at home. I can tell many of you are practicing sounds, weekly words and sentence writing! I am so impressed with everyone's progress!
As I mentioned last week, we will start our Remembrance Day ceremony at
10:45 in the gym. Please join us if you are free.
Photo Retake Day
This Wednesday is Photo retake day and Class Photo Day. I had a few families request for Retakes. If you would like your child to get a retake, please write me a note in the agenda if you haven't already done so.
Progress Reports are live this week!
On Thursday, you will have access to your child's progress reports. Your child
will receive a check mark in progressing very well, progressing well or
progressing with difficulty in each subject. To be honest, there is not a
lot of information in each subject. I hope you are seeing some progress
and some feedback on the work that I have been sending home. It is
difficult for most grade one students to receive progressing
very well at this time. If your child has received a progressing well mark, it
could mean that your child is in the B or the C range.
Parent Teacher Interviews
We will be having our Parent-Teacher Interviews on Thursday, November 20.
More information will come from the office regarding scheduling. If that
night does not work for your family, please write me a note and I am
happy to meet you on another day before school. I hope I have a
chance to meet with all of you. I am so proud of all of them and
I'd love the chance to share their progress with you.
Winter Clothing
And just like that, we are all in snow pants, boots and ski jackets.
Please continue to allow your child to get dressed independently
at home. If she or he needs it, have a few practice runs at
putting on snowpants and winter jackets. Help them make
a plan of where he/she will keep their belongings (for example,
hats and mitts in their sleeves, in their hats or in their bags).
This will help your child at school. Some children are so quick
and others struggle with getting dressed. Longer coats and
tricky zippers need practice. Please continue to label each
piece of winter clothing. It is so hard to keep track with
no name on it!
Language
I am so impressed with the progress of the students. Everyone has shown
improvements. I will continue to send home decodable texts for you to
practice at home. I know it is challenging for some of you to have your
child practice reading skills with regular books at this point. It will come.
I hope you are taking some time to practice the sentences that I am
creating and sharing with you. It will help some children increase their
fluency and help some children with their writing skills. They love to
see their friends' names in the sentences too. Writing usually develops
after reading. It is also improving. They are all developing their own
abilities to make sentences that make sense. Some still need reminders
to include a capital at the start, punctuation at the end and proper
finger spaces. We will continue to work on their writing skills.
Math
We will continue to learn more about numbers. Please continue to practice skip
counting by 1's, 10's and 5's if your child is ready. We have started to add
using a number line. Next week, we will work on some subtraction. We will be
moving into patterning both with shapes and with number patterns. The
children are excited to find patterns in numbers as we practiced counting by 10s.
As always, continue to write me a note or call me at the school if you have any
questions or concerns. Looking forward to another week of fun and learning.
Sincerely,
Giovanna Smith ☺

