The last week of Lent is known as Holy Week. It is when we remember the last week of Jesus' life and is the most important time in our Liturgical year. Palm Sunday marks the start of Holy Week. We will learn about the journey Jesus made into Jerusalem on a donkey to celebrate the Jewish festival of Passover. The children are all very interested in listening to the bible. I am continuously encouraging the children to ask questions. We may not know the answers, but it creates more curiosity, engagement, learning and thinking. I will bring in some palms to class on Monday morning to show the children. I hope your child has enjoyed praying for his/her special friend during lent. We will let each other know who we were praying for after the Easter break.
Holy Week Prayer
Please, Lord, guide our minds with your truth. Strengthen our lives by the example
of Jesus. Help us to be with Jesus in this Holy Week as he demonstrates again his
total love for us. He died so that we would no longer be separated from You.
Help us to feel how close You are and to live this final week of Lent in Your love.
St. Cecilia
Pray for us.
Language
In Language, we continue to work on our WW’s each week. We continue
to learn different spelling rules to help us when writing. The children
are writing more in math. A few still need reminders to start with a
capital and end with a capital when writing sentences.
Math
In math, we have been working on number doubles, number partners
to make 10 and adding and subtracting to 25. We have also started
to learn about fractions.
Science
We continue to learn about Structures.
Religion
We continue to learn more about Holy Week.
Scientists in Schools/Field Trip
As a grade one team, we are planning some special events for the
children. Our student fees are helping to pay for these events. If
you have not had a chance to pay yet, please do so when you can,
if you can. Next month, we will be having a Scientists in Schools
Workshop for the children. We are so lucky that our School
Council is paying for the fees for that. We are also planning a
field trip to Baxter Conservation on May 7, 2026. We will need
some parent volunteers to help supervise. I will send out the
permission slips in the coming weeks.
Applications and Websites
I have introduced a few applications and websites to the
children so far this year: Starfall, Kodable, Numbots,
Google Music play and Saami. Some of these are accessible through
the student portal. The others are saved in the children’s Bookmark
Bar when they log on to their google account. Kodable is only available
for free from 7am -4pm. Sorry for the confusion. As I mentioned
before, the login/passwords are located in the first 2 pages of your
child's agenda.
Family Life Note
This week, I will be sending home a formal note from the board
to let you know we will be starting Unit 4 of Family Life.
As I explained at the Meet the Teacher night, every year unit 4
of the Blessed & Beloved program will share more information about
human development each year. Please write me a note if you have
questions after reading the note.
Thanks again for your continuous support. I appreciate all that
you do with your child. I look forward to another week of fun and
learning with the children. As always, write me a note in your child’s
agenda if you have any questions.
Take care,
Giovanna Smith

