Language
We continue to read texts in the Flyleaf series. Please feel free to use the online resource. It is free until the end of June. Students are starting to work on using connecting words to make their sentences a bit longer, for example, and, but, because or so.
Home Reading Bags
Please send back your Home Reading Bags as soon as you can. I do have a lot of my own books that I am still willing to continue to share with you to practice with your child. However, I also have been using some resources from the school library that I need to share with some of my colleagues. Please take some time to look around the house for any St. Cecilia resources that you may have borrowed (there will be a stamp on the cover or inside page). I am missing a few books at this time. Thanks for your help.
Math
We will begin our learning of fractions. Here are some tips to let you know what the children will be learning and how you can help from home. These 3 links come from Math Up ( a math resource we use at school) and they will only work for 14 days then the links will expire.
Sum It Up - Halves and Fourths
Science
Last week we had a fun week building our robots! The children were excited to build them on their own. This activity helped them with their creativity, critical thinking, problem solving and some collaboration. The children were very excited as they were able to share their creations with the kindergarten students and some of their former educators. It was pretty special to watch them share their robots. I hope you had a chance to read their writing about their robots as well. They all did a great job.
The students will participate in a hands-on science workshop Monday morning. We are lucky to have this opportunity. There is a fee for the school for this workshop. We use the funds from the student’s activity fee to help to pay for it. Thank you to those who have already paid. Last time I checked in with the office we were only missing 2 families so thanks so much. The children will be excited to participate in this learning experience.
Physical Education
We have been working on skipping this month. The children have participated in various jumping activities. The students are so excited. I have been working on building their confidence with the long rope. A few have already learned how to skip with a short rope.
As always, please write me a note in your child's agenda or call the school if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to another great week of fun and learning.
Sincerely,
Giovanna Smith 😊








.jpeg)